Act concerning Protection of Personal Information (Japan Law No. 57, 2003)
[Personal Information Protection Law (Japan)]
Chapter Four Obligations of businesses handling personal information and other matters
Section 1 Obligations of businesses handling personal information
(Specification of the purpose of use)
Article 15 (1) Businesses handling personal information shall, when handling any personal information, have to specify the purpose of use (hereinafter referred to as gPurposeh) as much as possible.
(2) Businesses handling personal information shall, when changing the Purpose, be forbidden from changing it beyond the extent where the new Purpose is reasonably considered to have substantial relations with the previous one.
(Restriction by the Purpose)
Article 16 (1) Without prior consent of the principal, any business handling personal information shall not use or handle the personal information beyond the extent where it is necessary for achieving the Purpose specified under Article 15 above.
(2) If a business handling personal information has taken over any other business handling personal information for the reason of merger or any other reason and obtained any personal information from that other business through such business succession, it shall not use or handle the personal information beyond the extent where it is necessary for achieving the Purpose specified before that business succession.
(3) The provisions of the previous paragraphs shall not apply if the use or handling of the personal information is:
1. done under laws or regulations;
2. necessary for protecting the life, body or property of any person and it is difficult to obtain the consent of the principal;
3. especially necessary for improving the public health or promoting the sound rearing of children and it is difficult to obtain the consent of the principal, and/or;
4. done for cooperation with State agencies or local governments or their delegates in their performance of any conduct under the law and such performance is expected to be hampered by obtaining the consent of the principal.
**cs-trans.biz is a translator specializing in law and finance. If you have any legal or financial document (law, contract, agreement, etc.) to be translated, please contact: email@example.com.